Monday, September 12

Cagbalete Chronicles 1:The Journey to the Mystical Island

This is the second installment of my adventure in Cagbalete. On the first one, I included the directions (and tips) on how to get there. This entry will be about our own personal experience of making this adventure possible. 

Before leaving for Cagbalete, I packed all the essentials for a 2-day trip. My bag was really heavy because I yet have to master the art of packing lightly. My best friend dropped by our house at around 7pm  (Saturday) to talk to my father and make paalam. (Here's the thing, I have a very very STRICT tatay (father) and even if I am already way over the legal age, he is still very protective of me. See, I still need his permission when travelling. :( I'm his little girl like that.. grr. ) 

Since it was too early and Neil won't be joining us for the trip, me and Robai decided to hang out at Market! Market for a while to kill time. We met up with the sulking Neil there and had dinner (and dessert) at Tokyo Tokyo. Good thing the blue whale started cheering up after an hour or so. Since the mall closes at 9:30pm, we decided to get out and sit by the benches near the ferris wheel. I mentioned to Robai and Neil that I have never been to Serendra (the shame!) so they invited me for a walk at the famed place, again, to kill time. 

Robai and the Blue Whale
I did not take pictures though. I'm not that kind. I don't like taking pictures of places specially created for the filthy rich to further magnify the social division in this country (echos!). I must say though, that the place is too overrated. It was nothing but a long stretch of Ć¼ber expensive shops and boutiques which products cost a fortune. The only thing I liked was the humongous Fully Booked branch there. It was like a dream to behold! I was drooling like hell (but that is totally irrelevant to this post).
At half past ten, Neil decided to call it a day. He said goodbye while Robai and I went straight to the Ministop nearby to buy our provisions. I remember putting two cups of instant noodles, 2 cans of Century Tuna Paella (it's God's gift to the human race, no kiddin'), 3-in-1 coffee mix, biscuits, chips, a loaf of bread and some sandwich spread, candles and dishwashing soap. The total bill cost us P596 (or something like that).
Me and Robai aboard the bus

We took a jeep to Guadalupe and a bus from Guada to Cubao (JAC Liner). I think we were lucky enough to reach the station in time for the last trip (12:10am). After a quick inquiry with the bus conductor, we figured out that we were on the right bus. The bus left the station at 12:25 am. 

Now, for anyone who's been wondering about which bus line is good for the trip to Lucena, I would advice you guys to take the JAC Liner. Not only is the driver careful and the seats comfy, you also get free wi-fi on board! (Isn't that cool?). We couldn't sleep though because we are nocturnal beings; Robai works on a night shift while I love staying up late. 



For most of the trip, the two of us spent our time talking about random things in our lives and  the bad things about the government and society. I think I was able to take a nap after a while and I just woke up when the bus made a stop at one of its station somewhere in Laguna. The trip continued (and our exchange as well). At 3am, we reached the Lucena Grand Terminal. It was too early and we had to wait for one and a half hours before the first trip to Mauban leaves. We took the liberty to capture some pictures of the station. Below is the picture of the mini-bus that will take us to Mauban. 


The rest rooms in the Lucena Grand Terminal is really clean although you have to pay 5 pesos if you want to pee or jebs (poop) and 10 pesos if you want to take a bath. There are several establishments near the station also and unfortunately for us, they weren't open yet so even if I was craving for Chowking's Chao Fan, we couldn't buy one. At exactly 4:30am, the mini-bus left the station (for the schedule, check the previous post). It was a bumpy ride and had we traveled a bit later, I know we will enjoy the picturesque view on the bus. There were trees everywhere and mountains and rice fields. The breeze was naturally cold, amoy probinsya. A tip for future travellers, take the 6:30 schedule so that you can enjoy (and take pictures) of the wonderful sceneries in Mauban. 


The Mauban Market
We arrived in Mauban at 6:10AM. Most establishments are still closed. When we asked for directions on how to get to the port, the locals were VERY  helpful. :) Lahat sila nagsasalita ng sabay-sabay, nakakaconfuse! Hahaha.But I do commend their characters though, it was a perfect display of Filipino hospitality. Everyone was friendly and eager to lend a hand. We took a trike to the public market so we can buy our food supply. After buying the ingredients for adobo as well as one gallon of distilled water, we decided to take a trike again to the port.

Mauban is a quaint little town. It was totally different from Manila in that the locals are generally amicable. It impressed on me (and Robai) how jaded we have become from growing up in Manila that we were not used to people offering us their house just because we needed to use the restroom. 







We arrived at the Mauban port too early (I guess). It was only 7:10am. Reaching the port early is good if konti lang ang dala ninyo because you can go sight seeing and not get stuck in one place. Unfortunately for us, madami kaming dala so we can't really go around the town to explore. We met another passenger who is on her way to Cagbalete too. She told us she lives there and she just visited someone in Lucena the day before. She also said that if her son picks her up at the Sabang Port, she will ask him to bring us to Villa Cleofas. We were touched by the gesture and thanked her. We asked her about things in Cagbalete like if electricity is available there or if the cellphone reception is strong. She said that electricity is not available in the island coz it's too remote and as for the signal, it's only good for SMART subscribers.That was a bad thing for me and Robai because we were Globe and Sun Cellular subscribers, respectively.
The most awaited boat!
On-board
The boat arrived at around 8:45AM, thank God! It was starting to get really really hot and feeling namin magkakasunburn na kami even before we get to the resort. After waiting for the passengers to disembark the boat, we went aboard and waited for the departure time. We made friends with the boat's captain (I think driver is a more appropriate term) and the other crew. It started to get crowded at half-past nine with everyone loading sacks of fruits, rice, vegetables and other food supplies. There were more than 40 passengers in the boat and most of them are residents of the island who visited the mainland to get some supplies. There were two other groups of tourists with us, a couple and a group of call center agents (well that's what Robai said) who embarked the boat five minutes before the departure. As such, they did not get good seats in the boat. :)

We left the port at exactly 10am. I was asking of the crew if it was okay to sit on the edge of the boat and he said it was too dangerous (too bad, it would have been bad-ass) as I might slip and fall on the deep waters. It was kind of ironic because he was standing on the edge of the boat like a boss, not holding on to anything. What is bad-assery... =))

The boat ride was really scary because the waves were huge. The land in sight was too far that if the boat capsizes, you have no choice but pray to god that the life vest is enough to keep you alive. It was, after all, the Pacific Ocean. The crew was telling us that the sea was calm so there was no danger of getting our things wet. If you tend to get sea sick, it would be advisable to take precautionary measures like popping a Bonamine tablet and bringing a plastic for your mess. :)) The ride was really shaky but it was also fun. (Note to self: I have to cross out "cruise the Pacific Ocean" on my bucket list.)

After almost an hour, we arrived at the Sabang Port. It was breathtaking. Well, not including the informal settlers, but the water was so green and clear, I have never seen such before. The only word for it was "beautiful" and that is even an understatement. 
The picture does not give the beach justice. 
We had to ride a flat boat to get to the port. I had to muster all the self-control that I have so that I will not jump off the boat and take a plunge. The water was just so attractive. :| 

When we reached the port, we asked a local boy to guide us to Villa Cleofas. It was sweltering hot, we were hungry, sleepless and tired. Imagine the difficulty we had to go through just to get to the resort. :| We trekked for 10 minutes but it seems like a lifetime. There were no trees on sight, we had to walk on an open (and barren) land filled with talahib. Robai, who can't handle her hunger anymore, opened a can of the Tuna Paella and ate while we trekked. I think it was a good thing she did or she might have fainted on our way. 

We arrived at Villa Cleofas at half past 11. We gave Arvin (our guide) fifty pesos as a tip and asked him if he can pick us up tomorrow at the same time also. He obliged.  It was a long trip from Manila to Cagbalete but it was worth it. We checked in immediately and asked for a tent where we can put our things. What we did next will be included in the third post. For now, I shall have my lunch. 

Here is what we looked like after the long travel. Sinong mas mukhang haggard?



Robai with her tired look

Moi with my tired look. 
The life-saver tuna paella by Century Tuna.



0 comments:

Post a Comment